Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Who Are You Talking To?

                                               "You can't pray a lie."
                                                      Mark Twain

     Communications experts, speaking instructors and writing coaches all say to target our words at a specific audience. This makes our words relevant and powerful.

     There are those who say our real audience is ourselves; If we write for ourselves, we will reach our kind of readers and listeners.

     What if we addressed all our words to God, to the Universe?

     When a person is in front of us, we would speak to the Divine within them. Appeal to their best self.

     When we are angry, we could then show the our listeners the respect Job's complaints showed the Lord in the Bible.

     Of course people are not actually God, not the Universe. For one thing, they don't have that much power. For another, they don't always have our best interests at heart.

     But how much time do we want to waste talking to their lesser faces?

     What I like most about addressing my words to God is that this makes me more honest. I can still lie to myself, and thereby to the Universe. But I'm not really kidding anyone.

     That's also what scares me most about doing all my talking to God, to all of Reality.

     But what good does it do us to lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment